Lives in Forward Transition (LIFT)
Building bridges to independence
KDC provides comprehensive support to foster youths transitioning into their own living space.
KDC’s LIFT is a voluntary program for youths who have been involved with DCF for a long period of time. Through LIFT, young people partner with KDC staff and foster parents to develop their independent living skills. The program offers necessary support as young adults transition out of foster care into their own living space.
If you share KDC’s belief that every youth deserves a caring and stable home, you may be an eligible foster parent. We do not require prior experience. We work with prospective foster parents to complete all training and certifications needed, and we provide ongoing support for all foster families.
KDC empowers all family members to build the skills they need to to create pathways for success for foster youths.
Services We Offer
- Our thoughtful approach to placements, pairing a foster parent’s strengths to a youth’s needs, and supporting pre-placement connections
- Comprehensive support, from training to ongoing case management
- Tax-free stipend – amount is based on the program*
- Additional financial support for the foster youth’s clothing, holiday, and birthday needs
- Respite care and emergency on-call support
*Complex Medical Care parents are hired as KDC employees with salary/benefits and receive other benefits, in addition to the stipend.
Who We Support
In partnership with the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families (DCF), KDC provides foster placement for youths ages 16 to 22 who have been involved with DCF for a long period of time.
In addition to sharing our vision, to foster with KDC, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Hold a high school diploma or equivalent
- Successfully pass required background checks
- Have no more than four children living in the home (including the foster child)
- Pass a physical inspection of your home
- Complete MAPP training
We see KDC as partners in the journeys of birth families, foster families, and the youths we serve. With our range of clinical and community experience, KDC supports children and youth in foster care at every stage of their development and ensures that foster parents are prepared to do the same.